With both Euro 2020 and Copa America reached their ends in the past weekend, a clear picture of which players stand the best chance of winning the 2021 Ballon d’Or award has emerged.
On the cause of the competition, Italy defeated England on penalties to win this summer’s European Championships at Wembley. While Argentina beat rivals Brazil to lift the Copa America trophy for the first time since 1993.
Meanwhile, success at the international level will boast certain player’s chances of winning this year’s Ballon d’Or award. Though, it doesn’t guarantee that an Italian or Argentine would ‘definitely’ secure the prestigious individual prize at the end of the year.
Like always, contribution at the domestic and European level will as well be taken into consideration for the award come the year-end.
However, with this Ballon d’Or latest standings, it seems there is now a clear favorite to win the award.
With that being said, we take a look at the top 20 contenders so far before the resumption of the 2021-22 campaign to rap up the year.
Top 20 In The Ballon d’Or Latest Standings
20. Pedri – FC Barcelona
19. Phil Foden – Manchester City
18. Ilkay Gundogan – Manchester City
17. Mason Mount – Chelsea
16. Neymar – Paris Saint-Germain
15. Gianluigi Donnarumma – Paris Saint-Germain
14. Harry Kane – Tottenham Hotspur
13. Ruben Dias – Manchester City
12. Raheem Sterling – Manchester City
11. Karim Benzema – Real Madrid
10. Federico Chiesa – Juventus
9. Erling Haaland – Borussia Dortmund
8. Cristiano Ronaldo – Juventus
7. Kevin De Bruyne – Manchester City
6. Kylian Mbappe – Paris Saint-Germain
5. Romelu Lukaku – Inter Milan
4. N’Golo Kante – Chelsea
3. Jorginho – Chelsea
2. Robert Lewandowski – Bayern Munich
1. Lionel Messi – FC Barcelona